Painful Obstruction Syndrome aka Arthritis
We are talking about arthritis tonight for our community outreach class at 5:30 at Healthy Living Acupuncture! I’ll give you a sneak peak at what we’ll be discussing. There are two types of arthritis that I see most commonly in the Spring time.
- Generally speaking, an environment of Wind cold and Damp obstruction will be a common form of arthritis. It tends to be fixed and painful.
- Internal/External environmental balance.
- Do you feel worse on snowy/rainy days?
- In the Spring we see painful sinew obstruction When I see pain that stays for a long time, it settles in and weakens the body=pathogenic influences settle into the liver in spring.
- Focus is liver function/support
- Plan of Care-Support Sinews and gently circulate Why are there different types of arthritis?
Diet and place of residence are the root causes of disease. Nutrition consisting of Food and Drink supports our essential qi. It supports our inner organs that harmonize and regulate everything, including inflammation and immunity.
- Painful obstruction may be painful, or may not(could be numbness, cold, heat, dryness or dampness.
- Cold is always present with pain.
- Heat means there is a lack of fuids(yang raises when yin is deficient)
- If the blood congeals and does not flow the pain is sharp and stabbing locally and the vessels are blocked
- If the ligament can bend but not extend the obstruction is in the sinews
- If pain is in the bone, there is heaviness/achiness
- Numbness comes when the channels are openly circulating but only the skin is not supported
- If pain is in the flesh there is numbness
How does Acupuncture work?
- When qi is stagnant there is disease, when qi flows correctly and smoothly there is recovery and health.
- Common points used for pain: LU9, SP3, HT3, PC7, LV3, LI4, ST42, GB40….. to name a few!
Yours in health,